It’s easy to chalk self-care up to a weekly facemask and a cheer-me-up takeaway, but the subject is so vast, borrowing from ancient medicine and healing techniques. One of the most intriguing, and obviously aesthetic, forms for self-care is crystal healing, and the use of crystals in mindfulness. Yes, they look cute in your room and make for a great Instagram prop, but for the believers, crystals can have huge healing properties, helping soothe feelings of anxiety, tackle insomnia, encourage balance and bravery, and even physical benefits like helping cramps and detoxing your skin. It’s quite literally a treasure trove of a subject, so to help you get started, here’s our beginners guide to crystal healing, including how to use crystals, which crystals do what and the history of the whole subject.
#1 How Crystals heal
Like all other home remedies, crystals have a long history as a form of all-natural, alternative medicine. Dating back to ancient times, finding their origins in Hinduism and Buddhism, crystals are believed to have different healing properties dependant on their type and formation. Made when magma cools, crystals are pieces of the earth so many people believe they have healing qualities similar to using different essential oils or plants. These different qualities come from their different formations, with each crystal able to target different problems and help with different worries.
In general, it’s believed that crystal healing can regulate your energy, removing negative energy by promoting good energy flow and boosting an overall sense of calm. Their power mostly lies in trust. If you want them to, crystals can become an integral part of your self-care routine as the practice demands a moment of mindfulness and private reflection. Whether you believe in their healing power or not, crystals can simply be used as a symbol of dedication to your own wellbeing and a physical reminder to do your self-care, whether that be meditation or journaling or skincare.
#2 How to use crystals
How you use crystals is totally personal choice. The most important thing is that it feels natural and comforting. Here are some suggestions:
- Hold your chosen crystals while you meditate.
- Place them at the head of your yoga mat during your morning or night-time practice.
- Carry one throughout the day. Choose the crystal that best suits your needs for the day, then simply pop it in your pocket to accompany you.
- Wear your favourite crystal as a necklace, keeping it close to your heart.
- Place them under your pillow while you sleep.
- Adopt them into your skincare routine via a facial roller or as a cooling stone to massage your face with.
- Create a little shrine or alter in your room with your crystals, maybe your journal and some incense, or anything else that makes you feel comforted and empowered.